Group Design Project – ENG500
Academic year 2016/17
- Identify and evaluate the key drivers for the design of a product including functionality, usability, environmental legislation, intellectual property and mass production.
- Use and create feasibility reports and design reports for new products.
- Apply good practices and avoid common mistakes of working in small groups.
- Identify the diverse engineering disciplines required for developing commercial products.
- Identify and evaluate common ethical, commercial and management issues in technology related professions.
- Identify and evaluate multiple, and possibly conflicting, requirements such employment contracts, national legislation, professional codes of conduct and personal ethics.
- Use and articulate a decision making process.
- Coursework 1 was due December 14, 2016 and contributed 20% to the unit mark.
- Coursework 2 was due March 15 12 noon March 20, 2017 and contributed 80% to the unit mark.
- Alder, H. (2001). Say it with pictures. Oxford: How To Books. ISBN 1857037022.
- Clark, K. (1999). Design rules: the power of modularity. Cambridge: MIT Press. ISBN 0262024667.
- E. Dudley (Ed., 2000). Becoming designers. Bristol: Intellect Books. ISBN 1841500321.
- Fletcher, A. (2001). The art of looking sideways. London: Phaidon Press. ISBN 0714834491.
- Kendrick, T. (2004). Project management tool kit : 100 tips and techniques for getting the job done right. New York: AMACOM. ISBN 0814408109.
- Maeda, J. (2006). The laws of simplicity. Cambridge: The MIT Press. ISBN 0262134721.
- Moggridge, B. (2006). Designing interactions. Cambridge: The MIT Press. ISBN 0262134748.
- Thackara, J. (2005). In the bubble: designing in a complex world. Cambridge: The MIT Press. ISBN 0262201577.
- The School of Engineering has 3 Stratasys printers available for students to use:
- Ideas series Mojo (concept, smaller build envelope) (1 printer)
- Design series Dimension 1200 (main modeller, larger build envelope) (2 printers)
- Requests and prepared files will only be accepted to:
- K:\Student\Technology\Eng\EngWorkshop\Prototype\Rapid Prototyping Request
- Please contact Richard Baker with questions:
- Commonly used sources which require University student account login:
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY CONTRACTS
CODES OF CONDUCT
Please contact Chi Nguyen
with questions or suggestions.